I can't figure out how to get the pictures to go in the order I want. So For now youll just have to read this part, then the captions. I decided to do something incorrectly in the guitar building realm. I said, I am going to mount the bridge before I mount the neck. I will put the neck on the way it should fit, but I am not going to glue it. I had no specific intentions or expected results from this, I just assume it will work the same. To mount the bridge, you measure from the nut, to the 12th fret, and then you double that number, and thats how far from the nut, the bridge should be. Now I speak about this, as if I knew what I was doing. Though I am very nervous that I may not have gotten it precisely correct, which would mean the sound would be effected. The distance a string has from the nut to the bridge, determines the pitch of the notes you play. When pressure is applied to a guitar string, it bends the string to make that pitch. This is why the bridge nut is angled, the thinner strings need less pressure to change the pitch, therefore with a short distance from nut to bridge the resistance is a bit stronger. Thus the correct pitch is created. Anyways, I measured out my bridge, and put glue on the bridge. Then I used 2 c-clamps with some cherry wood scraps to help spread the pressure evenly. When I mounted the 12 strings bridge I found that it was a tough process, and In the end the bridge is not as secure as I wish it was on the 12 string. So this time, I said it has to be perfect. Now I just removed the clamps and it is perfectly flush! I surprised myself on that front, now lets pray that its in the correct spot. The only way to find out if its in the correct spot is to finish the guitar and DRILL HOLES IN THE SOUNDBOARD! This means if the bridge is not perfect, there will be 6 holes that are not in the proper spot, and could greatly effect the sound of the instrument after remounted the bridge. If the bridge is improperly mounted, I will use a classical guitar bridge so I do not have to add another 6 holes. Anyways, I should find out in 2 days if the placement is correct. Stay tuned, I am in the process of mounting the neck right now and will be putting the first coat of tung oil on in the next 24 hours.

Now matter how many times I measured, I got nervous that this was not correct.

This helped the bridge mount evenly, which was a large goal, but those cherry scraps covered the bridge completely. The glue and pressure from the c-clamp caused the bridge to slide around until the pressure was fully applied. Its really hard to make sure the bridge is properly aligned and horizontal when you cant see it!

Heres the final clamp set up on the bridge. It came out great.

Heres measuring the 12th fret. Sitting at roughly 12.5" thus making the bridge 25" from the nut. Though this step is confusing, because after measuring out my martin, it appears the martin has its bridge just a tad more than double the distance. So I am not completely nervous since it seems like each guitar does it differently, as long as its very close, I think it should be fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment